Batman Logo

Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Rick Stephenson Arrest

 
Must say I was disappointed by the recent arrest of Clark Co. Commissioner Rick Stephenson for DUI. I voted for Rick and have been impressed with his openness, candor, and transparency in his first couple of years in office and his performance as Commissioner , and he let me down. Though disappointed in Rick's bad decision to apparently drink and drive, I applaud his honesty  and candor for owning up to and taking full responsibility for his actions. He stepped forward and publicly admitted without excuses his bad lapse of judgement and promised to accept the legal consequences that are forthcoming..

   I'm not trying to minimize Mr. Stephenson's actions or the seriousness of the charges, but personally I believe in this instance of giving him another chance and hopes he does continue in his position as Clark Co. Commissioner. I know some will say it is hypocritical because I said that in the recent arrests of two other prominent office holders...that they should resign.

   Personally I see this case differently for several reasons. First of all Rick stepped forward publicly answering questions from both friends and critics. He didn't hide behind an attorney and admitted he was in the wrong and accepted full responsibility without excuses, unlike those in the two other recent cases. Another reason, anyone who drinks (myself included) has probably on occasion made the same bad judgement as Mr. Stephenson of driving after drinking and may or may not have been caught.. Not trying to minimize Rick's arrest, DUI is a serious offense and should be punished accordingly but I think also a lot of us realize it could have been us on some occasions and sympathize to some degree. Good people do make mistakes, but good people also accept and own up to their mistakes, don't make excuses and remedy their mistakes by making sure they don't happen again.

 Finally this is the Christmas Season and forgiveness and good will for our fellow man should be forth coming. I forgive Rick, Teresa P. and Danny R. and wish all of them well moving forward and hope they can all learn and be bigger people for their mistakes just as I would want anyone to forgive me for any mistakes I have made in my life...

I hope everyone had a great Christmas Season and Wishing you all a Happy New Year !!!




8 comments:

  1. Good post HT! and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this is a speed bump in Rick's political career and not a road block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said ht Rick Stephenson has handled this straight forward and should stay on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgiveness, Christmas goodwill, whatever. People who know him know this isn't a first and won't be the last.

    ReplyDelete
  6. need a new post on this: http://www.whas11.com/story/news/local/indiana/2015/01/01/kelly-harrod-dies/21148719/

    Who gets rich off continuing a lawsuit?? Wilder. Guess who will be footing the bill? I'm betting Noel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr Harrod dies...but the story turns out to be all about Wilder. ...his big lawsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't see anything wrong with your wanting Commissioner Stephenson to continue in his position, because, as you say, he has done an admirable job. His DUI is unfortunate, but he admitted to his mistake and everyone deserves a second chance. His resigning wouldn't do anything to help the situation.

    ReplyDelete