Batman Logo

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Jeffersonville Then and Now....Part I

Old Jeffersonville High School
With all the growth and construction currently going on and watching Jeffersonville become a bustling little City it also has some of us older residents reflecting back on days of yore...Having resided here all of my 60+ years I have seen huge changes over the years...From a sleepy little river town to a busy extension of the  Louisville- Kentuckiana area....quite a change indeed...





Just a few of my earliest memories of downtown Jeff and surrounding area (which was small then) as the city limits ended around Springdale Dr. going out Hwy. 62...


Anyone remember the Brown Derby Restaurant circa 1960 ??? I believe it stood where First Federal S&L sits today on Court Ave.....It burned down around 1960 which was a big event in old Jeff...across the street  on Court and Wall was Murphy and Cloyd's drugstore with an old time ice cream and soda bar...Further down was the old Citizens'Trust Bank bldg. corner of  Court and Spring (which still stands) and across the street which later came Clark Co. bank was Leist's drugstore...
A&W Root Beer Hwy  

Spring St. late 50's early 60's had the LeRose movie theater, of course Schimpf's candy, a J.C. Penneys, Ehringer's Appliances a pool hall (name ???) Country Cottage restaurant (where Ann's on the River is now) Third Base Tavern (the original) and several other small bars..House of James beauty college,.and of course the famous Trolley Inn facing the river off Spring  across the street from the Trolley was a flea bag motel (name ??? may have been Riverside Hotel)... The water and electric co.s had buildings on Spring as well....and there was a fire station on a the corner of Spring and Court ...

Other memories of downtown  a taxi cab station (yellow Cab) on that little island on Court just down from Spring...The A&P Grocery where Old Towne Grocery is today a bus station on Court just down from the courthouse ...a much smaller quaint old courthouse and jail...Jeffersonville High school was downtown until the late 60's I believe and the Jeff Fieldhouse was always packed on basketball game night to watch the Red Devils play The Jeff fieldhouse hosted many large sectionals in the 50's and 60's as well....

Warder Park
Lerose Theater
A big event in old Jeffersonville was around 1964 or 65 when then president Lyndon B. Johnson came to town for the opening of at the time (new) Jeffersonville post office which remains today...a huge crowd flooded Court Ave. to hear LBJ dedicate the new post office,,, In either 1967 or 68 Robert (Bobby) Kennedy visited Youngstown shopping center on a campaign stop in his presidential bid that end in his assassination...

Youngstown shopping center was probably the earliest dedicated shopping area in this area. Early on it included Krogers, Taylor's drugstore, Woolworth's, Bacon's, Everfresh Bakery and a National food store ....later on it would include Cotton Wood's sporting goods, Keith's clothing a S&H green stamp store a bowling alley Youngstown lanes (where New Washington Bank is today.)

Youngstown Shopping center (early)
This is the first part of a series the BatBlog is putting together about old Jeffersonville up thru today. Hopefully readers can contribute some things either I don't remember or overlooked ...any contribution is welcomed. These are many childhood memories so dates , locations and names could be mistaken..Already I have been contacted by a gentleman in Scottsdale Arizona who grew up in this area and worked at the Texaco gas station across from the Youngstown shopping center on Hwy. 62 in the early 50's (see picture)...

Looking forward to any contributions from other old timers like RiverFox and other readers...

31 comments:

  1. Ahh yes, the old timers. Holding up progress for 60 plus years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually have no problem with progress...Jeff has progressed very nicely of late. Merely pointing out the differences between then and now...

      My suggestion still stands to Anon. though concerning the duck...

      Delete
    2. Kind of hard on anonymous ain't ya there ht lol.

      Delete
    3. Seems harder on the duck.

      Delete
    4. I think Anon. is one of Galligan's worshipers who considered flowing sewer water through the city as progress...

      Delete
  2. Nice write up on your early days in Jeffersonville.

    Although I lived in Clarksville, I recall much of what you wrote about, abut the Brown Derby on Court Avenue, my aunt started working there in early 1945 and met her husband there, he was a customer and I guess he took a liking to my aunt. She was 21 at the time.

    I don’t recall the name of the pool hall on Spring St. but a friend of mine and I used to shoot pool there in the late 1950s, early 1960s. We would drive there in his old 1940 Buick. In the late 1940s, early 1950s I remember there used to be a lot of gambling on Spring Street, in the back rooms of some of those buildings around the pool hall, my dad took me to them a couple of times when i was just kid. I also wish I could recall the name of the pool hall.

    I also remember the Trolley Inn, the Riverside Hotel and the taxi station you mentioned. At Schimpff's I think there was a hobby shop there also (or am I thinking about another store close to Schimpff's?), I remember we kids used to buy boondoggle there, boondoggle was that flat extruded plastic lace that we made keychains out of; like we had any keys to start with.

    That photo you have Jeffersonville High School, I believe that is the photo made during the fire, but I don’t recall the exact year, early 1950s I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone remember the year of the JHS fire ???

      Delete
    2. I have one source that gives 1953.
      That looks about right but I'm not totally sure.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your input Lowell...yeah my parents took us kids to the Brown Derby on many occasions one side was a bar the other side family friendly...it was a big deal the night it burnt down...

    The gambling was more prevalent downtown in earlier years 30's and 40's Jeff was a hot bed of gambling early on... but slowly it was shut down... but never completely LOL

    Another store I remember was Weinstein's (mens clothing) it's in one of the pictures I have...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post HT, a little before my time but the old pictures and your memories lets us younger folks in on a little Jeff history. Looking forward to more installments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got a lot more pictures and memories to share Anon...stay tuned.

      Delete
  5. Love this!!...I'd forgotten about the bus station on Court ( but do vaguely remember it now).

    There was a hardware store in Youngstown near Taylor's ( I can't remember the name but my granddad worked there p/t after he retired).

    And I was there the night LBJ spoke...I wasn't in school yet but my parents took me.

    And kids use to buy/rent their school books from one, or maybe both, of those downtown drug stores...They didn't hand them out at school...That's how my mom got her school books, not me...Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Jules I think it was Keller's hardware and later was Money Penney I believe.. I was about 11 or 12 when LBJ was in town and right in the middle of the huge crowd on Spring, only president I've seen live...Didn't see RFK at Youngstown though but I remember his being there...

      Delete
    2. I think that bus station was were the bank is now on Court... Not sure the name of the bank though...

      Delete
  6. Yes -- it was Keller's Hardware -- I remember it well. Besides hardware, they had lots of glassware and knickknacks (figurines etc.) Also, Gateway grocery store was across the street from Youngstown in Gateway Plaza -- in that strip was a drugstore, a laundromat, a barber shop, and the place I worked as a teenager -- good ole King Korn stamp store!! At the end of the strip (where the bar is now) was KFC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was also, for a short time, a sort of museum where
      the stamp store was. A Mr. Allen ran it. Almost got killed
      by one of his king cobras.

      Delete
  7. Right Anon. it was Walgreens I believe and that was Bob Hill's barbershop who was still cutting hair there a couple a years ago...I didn't remember KFC there but Papa John got his start at that far end of the strip as well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wasn't there a Bensingers store on Spring St.? Not sure what they sold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Youngstown also had a S&H green stamp and Tap Value stamp store. Gateway gave out the stamps.
    The KFC on 10th used to be an ARCO gas station.

    The drug store was County drugs, there was also a Marios' restaurant. That was good food !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't remember Mario's but was the name of the Italian place in the old Quadrangle ? And remember the Jug O Milk store the small funny shaped building that sold only dairy products.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Old Timer? Well ... yeah. ;)
    I have left a few old photos in Wikimapia. (historic layer)
    http://old.wikimapia.org/#lat=38.2818858&lon=-85.745845&z=15&l=0&m=b&tag=45694
    Please feel free to reproduce anything that you find there.
    If the location still exists, there are a few historic photos as well.
    (just remove the "historic layer/disappeared object" filter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the awesome link RF... I had completely forgot about the Howard Johnsons on 10th St....

      Delete
    2. Ran across this the other day.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3k0FNNJNKU
      Lot's of memories from there.

      Delete
    3. Me too RF...lot's of time spent at Ewing Ln. pool and later on the dances at Ewing Ln.
      where they on Fri. or Sat nights ?? I recall Saturday...

      Delete
    4. Saturday I believe. Optimist Club was Friday.

      Delete
  12. I remember going to Howard Johnson's to eat fish on WEDNESDAY's as a child...I'm wondering if this was during Lent though...I was only 3 or 4 and I don't remember eating fish on Wednesday as being required as I got older...So maybe it was just during Lent????...Also remember the little milk place in Gateway Plaza...Does anyone remember the outdoor like fruit/vegetable market on 10th St...Probably not too far across from the Quadrangle ( that part of 10th anyway)...It was open to the outside but with a roof over part of it...They sold other things, but I mainly remember my parents stopping there for carton's of cokes...It was kind of dirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that's right ...it sat right up close to 10th St. with very little parking. Jules was being generous "kind of dirty" even as a kid it was pretty seedy !!!

      Delete
    2. Jules do you remember not being able to eat meat on Friday's growing up ??? It seems like that rule or requirement for Catholics ended in early 60's, but I remember always eating fish on Fridays as a kid. I assume that's what precipitated all the church fish fries being on Friday...

      Delete
    3. Yes, I remember...And perhaps it did end in the early 60's with Vatican II I suppose, but it held strong around here for much longer...Now it's just during Lent...( That said, my husband still never eats meat on Friday)...He's such a good Catholic boy. :)

      But there's something with Wednesday's...I know there was...I'm going to look it up...I remember we did it because my grandmother didn't want the house to smell like fish so we went to Howard Johnson's and everyone was eating fish.

      Delete
  13. During lent we still dont eat meat on Friday's, it has not ever changed.

    ReplyDelete