Batman Logo

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

In Defense of GAW and CCC

   It's been quite a week in the local blogs and forums. Accusations flying, deleted posts, harsh criticisms, both GAW and the CCC under attack. I think if there is a lesson to be learned here, actually two. One - Politics is a dirty, dirty business, which isn't actually a revelation, but has recently been proven out here locally. Number Two- As much as we would like for our forums and blogs to be uncensored, it is virtually impossible to run a blog or forum with any sense of good taste, decorum or civility without occasional Censorship.

  Even though for the most part I have always defended the CCC  (Clark County Chatter), recently I have been highly critical of their "Censorship" in a recent matter. Without going into details or naming names I have been privy to details concerning the recent incident. With this new information, I can honestly say "I was wrong" and I publicly apologize to both owners of the CCC, GrumpyGranny and the Prof. There are incidences and this is case is one where "Censorship" is necessary  and in this case absolutely essential.

  Now I know this will bring slings and arrows from the other side branding me as a hypocrite and the CCC in general for their actions. Believe me, it was hard to admit my mistake in this matter as I am a big believer in free speech.

As far as GAW's Coliseum forum I think Goliath has learned while it's nice to think that most people will police themselves as far as good taste, and civility; that's not always the case. I hope he doesn't take this as being overly critical (as I enjoy both Forums) but  recently a lot of things printed in his forum, has made the Coliseum almost a mirror image of the very thing a lot of Coliseum members despise about the CCC.

While it's probably (considering the circumstances) impossible for some  that these two forums can coexist in mutual harmony, I do think a common ground is that there are good people in both forums.....

Well that's just my opinion, for what it's worth


13 comments:

  1. You are the second person that said "you have been privy" to information concerning the incident. I thought the big thing about the Administrators was they would not discuss why they banned anyone except the person they banned?? Why do you and CW seem to have priviledges others do not? Just remember, no matter how flat you make a pancake, it still has 2 sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never said it was discussed with an Administrator, those are your words, not mine.... and I have no special privileges, again your words....

    As far as pancakes yes I'm well aware they do have 2 sides as does this story.... I only stated I am now aware of something related to me, that I wasn't aware of before.....

    Don't try and make a big issue out of something that isn't there.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is it that you are so quick to judge I am trying to make an issue?? I simply asked a legitimate question as to how you or ANYONE other than Matt would know why he was banned and now feel it was warranted. You know Kumbaya cannot just be one-sided. I am trying, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HT, please contact me directly regarding this matter of censorship.

    After many discussions with the administrators, I was given this reason for being banned. Though I agreed to keep our emails private. (I hope they're doing the same.)

    I ask for specifics but I was given the response: I too often disrupted the conversation.

    I let the administrators know that I would use that response.

    Please email me at matthewchinn@gmail.com

    Feel free to use the attorney email from the challenge.

    I truly feel that I was banned because I wasn't wanted. If you know more, please met me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well for one thing you come on here and insinuated that I talked to an Administrator.... Which I did not...

    Then said I had special privileges.... Which I do not....

    Now your insinuating I am one sided... Which I am not

    To me that's making it an issue, which it is not....

    My only intention was to apologize to GG and the Prof. for making a judgement when I wasn't aware of all of the details...

    Is there two sides to this story ??
    Most certainly....and I'm not taking either side on the matter...

    A judgement was made. Who am I to say who is right or who was wrong...

    It was a legitimate judgement call IN MY OPINION, and a very difficult one....

    ReplyDelete
  6. HT I respect and value your opinion in this matter. I also understand that there are two sides to every issue. That is why I have made my decision and why I disagree with your opinion in this manner. You see there are two sides to every story and in this case I am only permitted to hear one of them. If one side decides to remain silent that is of course their perrogative and I do not question that. However, they should not expect me to agree with them if they decide not to make their side known. Especially when the other side has been so open about it. Anyway, that is just my opinion for what it is worth.

    Brian Coffman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Batdude, thank you...

    GG

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang - Good honest try HT, but alas, the comments indicate that you can never please them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matt, I haven't talked to any Administrator about your being banned. There are details about your post and subsequent banning that I was unaware of. Therefore my apology to GG and the Prof.

    I know nothing more than what you are aware of. You most certainly are entitled your opinion as we all are.

    I just feel the Administrators made a judgement call. Not saying they were right or that I agree with it, but they were within their rights to make such call.

    But I will say they were correct in deleting the post.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. HT- Thanks for the comments. For 'what's worth', Goliath hasn't banned anyone...yet. (though I hesitate to say that because
    perhaps someone will take that as a challenge) Second, I have deleted posts in the following categories,
    1. Obscenity 2. Threats 3. Rumor mongering. 4. inappropriate discussion of children.

    Some people didn't like this. That's ok. The ironic part of it is most of the deleting or censoring has been in defense of the person who I oppose politically. I see the difference but I also recognize the common problems the CCC and GCF have.
    That's Goliath's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like pancakes, both side and all.

    ReplyDelete